Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Judge rather than jury will render verdict in upcoming antitrust trial -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Judge rather than jury will render verdict in upcoming antitrust trial
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 22:20:28
ALEXANDRIA,Will Sage Astor Va. (AP) — A judge rather than a jury will decide whether Google violated federal antitrust laws by building a monopoly on the technology that powers online advertising.
The decision Friday by U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema was a defeat for the Justice Department, which sought a jury trial when it filed the case last year in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia.
But the government’s right to a jury trial was based largely on the fact that it sought monetary damages to compensate federal agencies that purchased online ads and claimed they were overcharged as a result of Google’s anticompetitive conduct. The dollar values associated with those claims, though, were relatively small — less than $750,000 — and far less significant than other remedies sought by the government, which might include forcing Google to sell off parts of its advertising technology.
As a result, Google last month took the extraordinary step of writing the government a check for more than $2 million — the $750,000 in damages claimed by the government multiplied by three because antitrust cases allow for trebled damages.
Mountain View, California-based Google argued that writing the check rendered moot any government claim of monetary damages and eliminated the need for a jury trial.
At a hearing Friday in Alexandria, Justice Department lawyers argued that the check Google wrote was insufficient to moot the damages claim, prompting a technical discussion over how experts would try to quantify the damages.
Brinkema ruled in favor of Google. She said the amount of Google’s check covered the highest possible amount the government had sought in its initial filings. She likened receipt of the money, which was paid unconditionally to the government regardless of whether the tech giant prevailed in its arguments to strike a jury trial, as equivalent to “receiving a wheelbarrow of cash.”
Google said in a statement issued after Friday’s hearing it is “glad the Court ruled that this case will be tried by a judge. As we’ve said, this case is a meritless attempt to pick winners and losers in a highly competitive industry that has contributed to overwhelming economic growth for businesses of all sizes.”
In its court papers, Google also argued that the constitutional right to a jury trial does not apply to a civil suit brought by the government. The government disagreed with that assertion but said it would not seek a ruling from the judge on that constitutional question.
The antitrust trial in Virginia is separate from a case in the District of Columbia alleging Google’s search engine is an illegal monopoly. A judge there has heard closing arguments in that case but has not yet issued a verdict.
veryGood! (299)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Bridgerton Unveils Season 4’s Romantic Lead
- Love Island USA's Kendall Washington Addresses Leaked NSFW Video
- Safety regulators are investigating another low flight by a Southwest jet, this time in Florida
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Bulls, Blackhawks owners unveil $7 billion plan to transform area around United Center
- Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen's Relationship Hard Launch Is a Total Touchdown
- Toronto Film Festival lineup includes movies from Angelina Jolie, Mike Leigh, more
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Bangladesh's top court scales back government jobs quota after deadly unrest
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- McDonald's $5 meal deal will be sticking around for longer this summer: Report
- Who could Kamala Harris pick as her VP? Here are 10 potential running mates
- Get your hands on Deadpool's 'buns of steel' with new Xbox controller featuring 'cheeky' grip
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Simone Biles' husband, Jonathan Owens, will get to watch Olympics team, all-around final
- George Clooney backs VP Harris, after calling for Biden to withdraw
- Kamala Harris' campaign says it raised more than $100 million after launch
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Tractor-trailer driver charged in fiery Ohio bus crash that killed 6
Two-time Wimbledon champion Andy Murray says Paris Olympics will be final event of storied career
Abdul 'Duke' Fakir, last surviving member of Motown group Four Tops, dies at 88
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Iowa law banning most abortions after six weeks of pregnancy to take effect Monday
Eminem brings Taylor Swift’s historic reign at No. 1 to an end, Stevie Wonder’s record stays intact
Oscar Mayer Wienermobile flips onto its side after crash along suburban Chicago highway